Monday, August 31, 2009

Menu 2

COMFORT:
Stacie's Swedish Pancakes* - These were gone far too quickly. I doubled the recipe and we still had hardly any leftovers. Took me a little bit to really get them down, but even when they were a little misshapen, they were absolutely delicious! I also threw in some flaxseed meal.
Mexican Lasagna - SO easy and so yummy. I used the corn tortillas from last week's tostadas instead of spinach tortillas. I also added some zucchini and mushrooms in quartered small chunks and lowered the amount of meat in turn to about 1.3 pounds. Ground turkey works fine as well.

VEGETARIAN:
Spinach Artichoke Whole Wheat Penne - Very yummy. If you have nut allergies in your home, try using shelled pumkin or sunflower seeds instead of pine nuts in the pesto. I thought watermelon made a nice palate cleanser, as well as a rustic loaf of bread. I added quartered mushrooms and zucchini to the pasta and some basil to the pesto for a little added flavor. Your family won't even notice it's healthy!
Indian Dahl With Spinach - This is a hearty, delicious dish, and I especially loved the spinach in it. However, if you aren't used to Indian food or vegetarian food, you might want to try adding some sour cream and nutmeg to it - and maybe serve it over potatoes or rice to add some interest to new-to-the-taste palates. Also, I used just a little oil instead of ghee or butter to reduce cholesterol.

FAST:
Veggie burgers (or burgers, whichever you prefer)
Sloppy Joes - just any old house-brand can and buns

FUN:
Halibut with Grilled Eggplant Salad
Steak with Spinach Couscous - To cut costs, I used Sirloin tip side steak, thin sliced. This was a fabulous meal. I also beefed up the side dish by adding red onions, mint, and basil - and I used quinoa instead of couscous to add a little more health to the dish. I then froze the left-over spinach to use in the Dahl a couple of days later.

MAKE AHEAD (I am missing my slow cooker this week, but it will be back next week!)
Macaroni and Cheese - Very forgiving recipe. I use whatever cheese I have on hand. I also use Shallots rather than garlic. You MUST sprinkly some nutmeg on it before putting it on the table, it just makes the thyme sing and the whole dish comes together.
Chicken Salad

Pizza/Pasta
Leftovers

Sweet Treat: Rice Pudding, I'll just use left over rice and leave out the raisins...mmmm...love this recipe.

***
Stacie's Swedish Pancakes:
3 Eggs
3/4 C Flour
1/4 C Sugar
1 C Milk
Mix in a blender - pour onto a hot griddle. Top with fresh fruit, powdered sugar, butter, etc.

Chicken Salad
However you like it.
I like it like this: spinach, pre-cooked chicken, mushrooms, tomatoes, olives, avocados, nuts or seeds, feta cheese, Poppyseed Dressing, etc......

No comments:

Post a Comment