Thursday, April 8, 2010

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Lemon Curd and Fresh Raspberries

Tell me the title doesn't make you DROOL just looking at it! Go ahead, just try and tell me.
Here's a picture from the website, I have nothing else to show for these beauties.
After having Sarabeth's famous lemon-ricotta pancakes years ago, I began a quest to find a recipe that makes pancakes that are as delicious and light as theirs'. I've tinkered with various recipes, and I have to say that Bobby Flay has done it again - I just really thought they were perfection. I made a couple of small changes and one change that I thought was crucial:
1) I added a teensy bit less lemon (I thought it was over-doing it with the lemon curd on top as well)
2) I added a little extra nutmet (I'm a fanatic!)
The third change really was a deal-breaker:
3) I separated the egg white and yolks, dumped the yolks in as directed, and then whipped the egg whites until they were fluffy and a little stiff and then I folded them in once the batter was completely done.
I think this made all the difference. They're pretty dense little guys, so the fluffy egg whites lightened the pancakes up and let them cook all the way through just perfectly. My camera was broken when I was making them, which really is a shame because they were some of the prettiest pancakes I've made.
I served them with just a little bit of butter, a tiny pinch of salt, and a smidgen of maple syrup and lemon curd on them...and of course, the fresh raspberries can't be left out! The salty, lemony, sweetness of the toppings was just perfect with the nutmeg. Mmmmm...these just might be my "fancy breakfast" staples from now on!
Oh, and I only had ground white wheat flour from Trader Joe's and I didn't think it affected the taste in the least.

5 stars!

Recipe below and here.

Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 cup ricotta cheese
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1 lemon, zested and juiced
  • Butter, for griddle
  • 1 (11-ounce) jar prepared lemon curd
  • Fresh raspberries, for garnish
  • Confectioners' sugar, for garnish

Directions

Preheat a nonstick griddle.

Combine flour, baking powder, nutmeg, salt, and sugar in a small bowl. Whisk together the cheese, eggs, milk, lemon juice and zest in a large bowl. Whisk the flour mixture into the wet ingredients until just combined. Brush the hot griddle with butter. For each pancake, pour approximately 1/4 cup measure of the batter on the griddle and cook on both sides until light golden brown. Repeat until no batter remains.

Empty the contents of the lemon curd into a small saucepan and warm over low heat. Alternatively, remove the lid and place in a microwave oven on 50 percent power for 2 minutes, stopping after 1 minute to stir the curd. Drizzle a few tablespoons of the curd over the pancakes, top with fresh raspberries, and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment