Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Best Granola Ever

I just recently began making my own granola. It turns out we eat a lot of granola at our house and that it can get expensive. And it turns out that I apparently like homemade granola a lot more than store bought - who would have ever thought? It also turns out that my toddler loves to make it with me - it's a perfect afternoon project together of dumping this and that into a bowl and then pressing it into a cookie sheet together.I really love the recipe I've been making - it's sweet, salty, crunchy, and it actually bakes into little clumps like the store bought granola that I love. If anyone has another recipe out there that you love to make, I'd love to try it! My kids have been eating it by the hand-full and I love that it has all sorts of goodness they don't even know they're getting while they gobble down their breakfast!
5 stars!
Recipe below and also here.Best Granola Ever.

Ingredients:

1/3 cup + 1 Tbs. oil, vegetable or canola
2 Tbs. water
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
4 Tbs. molasses
4 Tbs. maple syrup
(Or you can just use 1/2 cup of maple syrup and omit the molasses)

4 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup wheat germ
4 Tbs. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
4 Tbs. ground flaxseed
2/3 cup coconut
2/3 cup pumpkin seeds (sunflower seeds can be substituted, especially if you can't find unshelled pumpkin seeds))
2/3 cup almonds (chopped or whole) - I left these out so my baby can eat it as well

Adjust oven racks to middle positions. Preheat to 275 degrees. Coat two metal cookie sheets with cooking spray or oil and set aside.

Bring oil, syrup, molasses, cinnamon, water to a simmer in a saucepan over low heat.

Mix oats through almonds in a large bowl. Pour oil/maple syrup mixture over oat mixture and stir to combine.

Pour mixture onto two prepared cookie sheets. Working a handful at a time, squeeze granola to form small clumps.

Bake for 30 minutes. Stir and continue to bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes longer.

Let cool. Granola can be stored in an airtight container for up to two weeks. Enjoy!

Makes (roughly) 2 quarts.

1 comment:

  1. LEESH! You've got to check my family's food blog because just a couple days ago I posted a recipe for granola that I am in love with. The only thing I struggled with was getting it to clump together. Most of it did, but next time I might have to really press it together in the beginning. Anyway, I loved seeing your post! Love, a fellow granola lover.

    ReplyDelete