Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Salad That Made Us Love Salad

I used to buy spinach or any number or green-leaved goodness at the grocery store only to have it go bad in the refrigerator because...well...my husband and I, we're just not leafy kind of people. I mean, I love a salad that eats like a meal, but just everyday...salad? Blah. Then one day I discovered Brianna's poppyseed dressing (I know, we all remember the day we discovered that dressing, don't we?), and then I discovered it on spinach - with strawberries...and a new salad lover was born.
My friends lovingly call this salad the "Alicia Salad" because I make it so frequently (try almost every day) and I bring it to almost every gathering. It has evolved over the years until I now have a firm ensemble of ingredients that I use every time. I frequently make enough for 2-3 days of it so I only have to do the chopping once a week. If I'm out of one thing, I'll add something else, like peppers. It's really delicious, forgiving, and a crowd pleaser! Best of all, this salad has made it so that we now go through leafy greens by the bushel. Well, almost that much, anyway.

I also recently discovered something. My mom will occasionally put fresh basil in a salad. The other day I had some mint so I thought I'd try it on for size in this salad. Let me tell you - it was amazing! I just kept getting little bites of sweetness as I worked my way through the salad. So yummy...and kind of fun to have a "secret ingredient" in such a common side dish. I put in probably 2 Tablespoons, finely chopped.

The Alicia Salad:
Ingredients:
Mixed greens or Spinach (baby spinach is best, but any other kind works)
Mushrooms - button or baby bella are my favorite
Tomatoes
Strawberries
Craisins (optional)
Feta Cheese
Olives (optional)
Pine nuts or chopped almonds - sunflower seeds are a good substitute if you have allergies
Finely chopped mint (optional)
A sweet poppyseed dressing (recommended: Brianna's brand)

Place all in a bowl with desired amounts/level of chopping. Toss if desired. Place cheese, mint, and nuts/seeds on last for garnish. Serve with poppyseed dressing, or favorite sweet dressing (Trader Joes has a wonderful Cranberry Walnut Gorgonzola dressing that goes well).

A very humble 5 star recipe. =)

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I love your salad!!! Now I can make it anytime I want! Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This salad looks so good and pretty! I eat alot of salad and this would be a nice twist to my normal salad.... Welcome to Foodie Blogroll... Visit my blog @ www.fromcupboardtocupboard.blogspot.com
    Love your blog! :-)
    Teauna

    ReplyDelete