Friday, April 9, 2010

White Chili

I have to admit that I'm not a big chili person. It really has to be just right for me to really get into it. I love a good taco soup, but just plain old chili is not my favorite.
Until now.
My friend shared this recipe with me and when I saw cannelloni beans I was sold because I had a good 2 cups sitting in my freezer from another recipe that I needed to use up.
This was one of those recipes where I got half-way through and thought, "Really? That's it? This is going to be a disappointment..." But I was riding on my friend's raving recommendation, so I held out hope. Boy am I glad I did!This recipe just might have it all: it's healthy, it's flavorful, it's delicious...and get this: My 3 year-old asked for a SECOND BOWL!
I served it with avocados, cheese, and whole fat plain greek yogurt, to get some extra fat in my kids. I will be adding this to my regular rotation - and you know that means this recipe is good!
Oh, and my grocery store was out of tomatillos, so I used chunky salsa verde. My spices also seemed to have formed a pact and decided to run out all at the same time on me. I've had to buy so many of those expensive little things over the last month that I just couldn't justify coriander seed when I already had ground coriander in my cupboard. It turned out great just the same.

5 stars. Easily.

Unfortunately, I don't know whom to credit for this recipe, so here it is below:

White Chili


Cooking Spray

1 TBSP Vegetable Oil

1 LB. Skinned, boned chicken breast halves, chopped

½ cup chopped shallots

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 (14.5 oz.) can tomatoes, undrained, whole or diced

16 oz chicken broth

1 (11 oz) can tomatillos, drained and coarsely chopped-OR 7 oz. can salsa verde

1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chiles, undrained

½ tsp dried oregano

½ tsp coriander seeds, crushed

¼ tsp ground cumin

1 (16 oz) cans cannelloni beans or other whilte beans-drained (or about 2 cups cooker beans)

3 tsp lime juice

¼ tsp pepper

9 tbsp (about 4 oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese


Coat a large saucepan with cooking spray. Add oil; place over medium-hiigh heat until hot. Add chicken; sauté 3 minutes or until done. Rmove chicken from pan; set aside. Add shallots and garlic to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in tomatoes and next 6 ingredients (tomatoes through cumin). Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Add chicken and beans; cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in lime juice and pepper. Ladle into bowls; top with cheese. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment