Sunday, April 11, 2010

Roasted Tomato Soup

Please prepare yourself, as I am about to share with you a recipe that just might change your life forever. It's called, quite simply, Roasted Tomato Soup. However, this little soup is anything but normal. Every time I make this unassuming little recipe, I am reminded why I just keep coming back for more. It has such a depth to its flavor - and it's delicious. We've all had tomato soup before, but then you try this and you think "ok, this is what the tomato soup in my dreams tastes like". Only it's real, which makes it even better.
It can be a little time-consuming the first couple of times you make it. After you get it down, it becomes routine and somehow you shave off a good 20 minutes. I always double it because I don't think the recipe makes quite enough - and I'll happily spring for leftovers for days at a time if need be. If you make this for guests be prepared for ranting and raving. Really, it's just SO good.
A few words: I've used fresh garlic as well as the minced garlic that comes in a jar and they are both good. I've used fresh good chicken stock and bouillon in a pinch and they are both good (although you have to watch how much bouillon you put in - you don't want it to take over the flavor of the tomatoes). I've also made it without cream and it was still delicious. In fact, that's how I always eat it now, since it's just as good with or without an added 400 calories. =)

You can decide if you'd like to seed the tomatoes or not. I'm sure it's more professional to seed them, but I just think it takes a lot of time...and I actually think the taste is more rich with the seeds and pulpy tomato goodness in there.

Try and use a variety of tomatoes, as the recipe suggests. It really broadens the flavor.

Also, I find the easiest way to skin a tomato is to roast them, as the recipe suggests. Then let them cool for about 20 minutes or until they're not too hot to handle. Then simply hold onto the skin and the tomato meat will just fall right off of the skin. So easy. And do me a favor: When you pull the tomatoes, onions, and garlic out of the oven, let them cool a little and then just try an onion slice. You'll know right then and there why this recipe is going to become your new favorite food.

Sometimes I make the croutons (which are really just so good with it), and other times I just don't have the time and I just make toast to go with it.

Lastly, this is also a great food for company - not only is it delicious, but you can make it a day in advance and it's just as delicious. You may want to triple the recipe.

Enjoy! 5 stars.

Recipe Below:

Roasted Tomato Soup with Fresh Croutons

Serves 4

INGREDIENTS:

For Soup:

2 1/2 pounds fresh tomatoes (mix of fresh heirlooms, cherry, vine and plum tomatoes)

6 cloves garlic, peeled

2 small yellow onions, sliced

Vine cherry tomatoes for garnish, optional

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 quart chicken stock

2 bay leaves

4 tablespoons butter

1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves, optional

3/4 cup heavy cream, optional

½ cup grated Asiago cheese

For Croutons:

Good olive oil

1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

6 cups (3/4-inch) bread cubes (1 baguette or round boule)

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

For Soup: Wash, core and cut the tomatoes into halves. Spread the tomatoes, garlic cloves and onions onto a baking tray. If using vine cherry tomatoes for garnish, add them as well, leaving them whole and on the vine. Drizzle with 1/2 cup of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 to 30 minutes, or until caramelized.

Remove roasted tomatoes, garlic and onion from the oven and transfer to a large stock pot after peeling the tomatoes (set aside the roasted vine tomatoes for later). Add 3/4 of the chicken stock, bay leaves, and butter. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until liquid has reduced by a third.

Wash and dry basil leaves, if using, and add to the pot. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. Return soup to low heat, add cream and adjust consistency with remaining chicken stock, if necessary. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Garnish in bowl with 3 or 4 roasted vine cherry tomatoes, a splash of heavy cream and grated Asiago cheese.

For Croutons: Heat a large saute pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil until very hot. Lower the heat to medium-low and saute the bread cubes, tossing frequently, until nicely browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add more olive oil, as needed, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

3 comments:

  1. SOOOO good! And the missionaries loved it too. As they were leaving one of them even said he might want to try making it. And I sort of had to tell him that he wouldn't really have the time until he was done with his mission. :) I made homemade french bread and served grapes with it. It was a perfect simple and delicious dinner. I was really happy with the way the meal turned out over all. :)

    More detailed review of the soup:
    I didn't have bay leaves, I used powder chicken broth, I used dry basil instead of fresh, I left the seeds in, no cheese, and I definitely included the cream. And it was so delicious. I felt like it had two flavors. At first I could taste the tomato and other spices, then I was flooded with a creamy and almost sweet taste that was just perfect. thank you, thank you, thank you! well, maybe I should be cursing you because I don't think I'll ever be able to make canned tomato soup again. It just doesn't even stand close. (and j/k I would never curse you;))

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said you weren't huge on meat in your Asian chicken salad post - neither am I, though I do eat it, and though it's spring, I'm in Austria and in the evening this is just the thing *and* meat-free. I like the emphasis you have on quick recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, Jess kept raving about this soup, asking if I had made it yet. After watching MasterChef compete in making grilled cheese and tomato soup I was in the mood for tomato soup from scratch. That's when I remembered all the positive feedback Jess gave about this soup and I thought it was way overdue for me to give this soup a try.

    Woe is me! Why did I wait so long? I tried an onion as you suggested, and I wanted more but had to refrain. I wanted to sample the soup over and over again b/c of the yummy smells coming from the pot, but it was too hot to test it right away.

    Deliriously delicious. Thank you for posting this.

    Miss you for gourmet nights.

    ReplyDelete