Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Mushroom Sauce with Noodles

I have a lot of friends who are good cooks. So when my friend gave me this recipe all the while raving, I knew I had to try it. And it was delicious! It reminded me of a mix between a stroganoff and a bourguignon. Mmmmm. Very easy, too! A wonderful comfort meal for a cozy day.

I used portabella caps and baby bella mushrooms. You know, whatever you've got, you use.

Oh, and I was a little skeptical of using 2 whole cups of cream in a dish that I knew I would be eating the majority of (since my husband wouldn't be eating lunch at home the next day). So I used whole milk. It worked like a charm.I also felt that it was a little tart, so I threw in some salt to taste. Yum. Broil up some asparagus with oil and salt and you've got a hearty, delicious, easy meal!

I don't know where she got the recipe, unfortunately, so for now, here is the recipe below.
4 stars.

WILD
MUSHROOM SAUCE WITH PASTA

Serves 4

Ingredients

2 lbs mix of wild mushrooms (shiitake, portabella, baby bellas, porcini)

2 cups tomato sauce

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar

3 cups chicken broth

2 cups heavy cream or whole milk or non-fat evaporated milk

¼ cup white vinegar

1/2 cup fresh parsley

2 TBSP minced garlic

4 TBSP butter


Sautee mushrooms in butter for 5 minutes, add garlic and parsley. Combine tomato sauce,balsamic vinegar, broth, and white vinegar. Add to mushrooms. Cook for about 45 minutes until the sauce has reduced and is pretty thick. Warm the cream or milk and add to sauce. Bring to a low simmer for 10-15 minutes. In the meantime, boil fresh pasta and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment